Congress creates another nightmare: the DREAM Act / HR1751 / S729
Wake Up America movement has warned, since last December, the new “Change” Congress would not waste a minute subverting the laws of our land to promulgate Obama’s permanence in office. We have already seen a no-limits spending spree being put in place to ensure he keeps his campaign promises to elevate the “underprivileged” at the expense of the majority middle-class working population.
W.A.M. recently helped mobilize more Americans to make our Voice heard in Washington in opposition to mandatory service to the Federal government at the expense of diminished independent charities and more effective localized community organizations. Manipulation of Congressional votes succeeded by profiling this unprecedented Edward Kennedy Serve America Act (the bill’s final title) as a memorial to the bill’s sponsor, Ted Kennedy, Vocal public opposition, by aware citizens like you, however, did relegate the mandatory aspects of this legislation to a separate bill (HR 1444) which is still in abeyance. Also, thanks to growing activism, E-Verify is not yet dead and buried, the Conscience Clause revocation is still “under consideration.” CARD CHECK also lurks in the background, still shy of needed votes despite its massive public ACORN & SEIU driven campaign.
In the meantime, the new regime’s strategy aims, once again, to take US unaware and rush through their latest book of Change laws – adeptly marketed as a “Dream” for some while undercutting the ‘American Dream’ for the mainstream population.
Here are some excerpts of concern from the DREAM ACT, the latest nightmare waiting to happen:
* SEC. 3. RESTORATION OF STATE OPTION TO DETERMINE RESIDENCY FOR PURPOSES OF HIGHER EDUCATION BENEFITS. . . “(a) In General- Section 505 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (8 U.S.C. 1623) is repealed.”Seems like there was a good reason it was made law in 1996. What’s different now?”
* SEC. 4. CANCELLATION OF REMOVAL AND ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS OF CERTAIN LONG-TERM RESIDENTS WHO ENTERED THE UNITED STATES AS CHILDREN. “(1) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding any other provision of law and except as otherwise provided in this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal of, and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, subject to the conditional basis described in section 5, an alien who is inadmissible or deportable from the United States”… “Sounds like they’re rewarded for breaking our laws, at the expense of all legal citizen’s children’s education.” “(2) WAIVER- Notwithstanding paragraph (1), the Secretary of Homeland Security may waive the ground of ineligibility under section 212(a)(6)(E) of the Immigration and Nationality Act and the ground of deportability under paragraph (1)(E) of section 237(a) of that Act for humanitarian purposes or family unity or when it is otherwise in the public interest. .” thus ensuring that the entire families of these “underprivileged” students benefit! “(f) Removal of Alien- The Secretary of Homeland Security may not remove any alien who has a pending application for conditional status under this Act.. .”So once they apply, if they break the law again in some way they cannot be deported?!” (Also see Sec. 9 of this bill)
* SEC. 5. CONDITIONAL PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS. “(e) Treatment of Period for Purposes of Naturalization- For purposes of title III of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1401 et seq.), in the case of an alien who is in the United States as a lawful permanent resident on a conditional basis under this section, the alien shall be considered to have been admitted as an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence and to be in the United States as an alien lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence. However, the conditional basis must be removed before the alien may apply for naturalization.. .”They move to the head of the line to be naturalized, too bad for those who have been waiting years to come here legally.”
* SEC. 7. EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION. “(b) Stay of Removal of Certain Aliens Enrolled in Primary or Secondary School- The Attorney General shall stay the removal proceedings of any alien who…(2) is at least 12 years of age; (3) is enrolled full time in a primary or secondary school. “So this is not only for college aged illegals and their families, it covers 12 year olds and their families as well!”
* SEC. 10. EXPEDITED PROCESSING OF APPLICATIONS; PROHIBITION ON FEES. Regulations promulgated under this Act shall provide that applications under this Act will be considered on an expedited basis and without a requirement for the payment by the applicant of any additional fee for such expedited processing. See also SEC. 11. HIGHER EDUCATION ASSISTANCE for granting of student loans to aliens of illegal entry. The bill also qualifies the applicants for work study programs and provides them full legal employment status.It appears that the DREAM Act is a gift that just keeps giving to the aforementioned “underprivileged” at the expense of the rest of the population.
SUMMARY: The DREAM Act offers immediate provisional amnesty to virtually every illegal alien up to the age of 35 – by merely filing an application that claims to meet the criterion. This invites potential fraud on a widespread basis. Yet, losing this amnesty due to fraud would require costly Federal investigation to prove disqualification. Provisions that clear the path to citizenship for relatives of the filing aliens invite potentially staggering numbers of immigrants to short-cut citizenship placing a burden on both the U.S. employment crisis and American institutions of higher learning.
Out of state, but legal, citizens do NOT have these rights – so why should advantages be given to the youth and families of law-breakers?! Finally, common sense (anywhere outside of Washington D.C.) would lead to the question: If the United States seriously intends to decrease illegal entrance to the country, won’t this generous special educational advantage, instead, logically invite and encourage more illegal entries?
Don’t just come to America for a job, come for a discounted college education! The so-called DREAM ACT is not only injurious to hard working middle class families – it is insulting to immigrants who have respected the law and patiently, responsibly abided with normal requirements for US entry and citizenship status. There is only one conclusion to be drawn from this insane legislation: It is yet another “New Party” strategy for ensuring lasting party loyalty by ever increasing numbers of low-information voters.
If you agree that American students should not become under-privileged as a consequence of favored treatment to others without appropriate legal status, then SIGN THIS PETITION to Congressional leaders and JOIN W.A.M. ACTION PLAN to stop this NIGHTMARE from happening!
THE COMMUNITY ORGANIZERS ROAD MAP TO SUCCESS FOR THE DREAM ACT is based on a large sympathetic turn-out to local TOWN HALL meetings – being conducted over the next week by CONGRESSMEN in their home districts. If at all possible, take the time to inquire about – AND ATTEND a TOWN HALL in your area. (Some, but not all, are listed below.) If you cannot attend a meeting MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD by the SENATORS and REPRESENTATIVES in your state with PHONE CALLS & FAXES. (Sample comments and FREE FAXES available by signing in to W.A.M.)
THIS CRITICAL ISSUE CANNOT AND WILL NOT WAIT. CONGRESS IS AIMING TO PASS THIS LAW SOON. We need to WAKE UP CAPITOL HILL Now!